Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Turned Away in PKs vs. NYU in NCAA Tournament

Men's Soccer Turned Away in PKs vs. NYU in NCAA Tournament

MONTCLAIR, N.J. – The Haverford College men's soccer team was eliminated in penalty kicks from the NCAA Tournament after playing to a 1-1 draw during the regulation and overtime periods. The Fords (14-4-1) even needed extra penalty kicks against New York University (12-4-2) before the Violets emerged a 5-4 winner during the seventh round of PKs.

With today's result, New York University advanced to Sunday's second round match against Montclair State University. The host Red Hawks (17-1-3) advanced to the second round with a 4-3 advantage in penalty kicks after playing Colby to a 1-1 draw after 110 minutes of match action.

Both teams went scoreless into the half after each side recorded seven shots during the first 45 minutes. Haverford had the best chance of the first half as Peter Baroff found himself with possession inside of the box just over 18 minutes into the contest. The Violets put five of their seven first half shots on goal, but keeper Michael Iacono was up to the test each time.

Max Krieg added to his big game legacy as he opened the scoring during the 53rd minute of match action. Krieg scored his fourth career goal just over seven minutes after the break. He gathered the possession and created just enough space from 25 yards out to beat the NYU goalie to the far post.

Nevertheless, NYU would tie the game with 2:04 remaining in regulation as Sergio Monton scored his fourth goal of the season. On a night where Iacono was outstanding as he made a career-high 11 saves, a deflection off of that shot spun the ball away for the Fords' keeper and into the back of the net.

Iacono was called on to make two saves during the first overtime period and the Fords held the better of the chances in the second. NYU goalie Grant Engel was called on to make three saves during the second overtime session, including a couple of nice saves on close range shots from Baroff. Those saves ultimately kept the match level after 110 minutes of soccer.

In the shootout, the Fords and Violets went shot for shot during the first six rounds. Michael Iacono saved the first and fifth attempts of NYU, while Nick Jannelli, Michael Carr, and Ben Clark all converted their chances for the Fords in the second through fourth rounds. The Fords had a chance to advance with second takes in the fifth, but just missed slotting a shot under the crossbar. Nick John kept the match alive with his make in the sixth, but a save from the NYU goalie during the seventh round ultimately gave the tournament advancement to the Violets.