Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Drops Heartbreaker to Rowan, 3-2

Sykes Cargile
Sykes Cargile

GLASSBORO, N.J. – The Haverford College men's soccer team erased a two-goal deficit on Wednesday night, but ultimately fell in a 3-2 heartbreaker at Rowan. The Fords (3-3) got second half goals from Noah Schwab and Sykes Cargile to erase the 2-0 deficit that they faced heading into halftime. In the end, with seemingly all the momentum against them, the Profs (6-2) scored with just over 11 minutes remaining to steal the non-conference victory.

Rowan scored its two goals exactly one minute apart during the first half. The first came on a bicycle kick from Modou Sowe during the 30th minute of play. The Profs followed that up with the second goal as Ryan Campbell swiped the possession from the Haverford defense and scored an unassisted goal. In addition to the 2-0 advantage on the scoreboard, the Profs held a 10-5 advantage in shots during the first 45 minutes.

Despite facing a two goal deficit, Haverford leveled the game less than 15 minutes into the second half. The Fords' first goal came off the head of Schwab as he redirected Nick Jannelli's free kick with a glancing touch off the post and into the goal just shy of seven minutes into the second half. Schwab's goal was his second of the season as he also scored in the opener against Cabrini.

During the 60th minute of play, Cargile rewarded the Fords' continued pressure attack with the equalizer. Cargile's first career goal at Haverford came when he one-timed a pass from Peter Baroff on a play intially started by Jannelli. After assisting on both of Haverford's goals on Wednesday night, Jannelli now has three helpers this season which added to his team-leading total of 11 points through the first six games. Baroff's assist was his second this season.

After tying the game at two, Haverford seemingly had all the momentum on its side. Nevertheless, it was Rowan who had the next offensive chances. The Profs thought they had the go-ahead goal during the 74th minute of play and drew a yellow card warning for the celebration. However, all that remained was the card as the play was called offside. Undeterred, Rowan's Jackson Nwokeoma did end up with the game-winning goal as he finished a rebound off of an initial save from Michael Iacono to put his side up 3-2 with 11:15 remaining in regulation time.

That game-winning tally was the last shot either team recorded on the evening. Michael Carr finished with a match-high four shots for Haverford. In goal, Iacono made three saves over the course of his ninety minutes while his counterpart denied two of Haverford's scoring chances.

Men's soccer will return to Centennial Conference play this Saturday as the Fords trek to Lancaster for a showdown with No. 12 Franklin & Marshall. The match-up between the last two Centennial Conference Championship programs will get underway at 1 p.m.