Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Edged by No. 23 Drew, 2-1

Ben Clark
Ben Clark

MADISON, N.J. – Following up a thrilling 1-0 victory on a goal that came with just 2.9 seconds remaining in regulation, the Haverford College men's soccer team wasted little time getting on the board Tuesday evening with a goal just 4:04 into game action against No. 23 Drew. However, the Rangers (13-0-1) quickly showed why they are one of the final nine unbeaten teams in Division III with quick answers in the seventh and eighth minute of play during an eventual 2-1 win over the Fords (7-3-3).

Ben Clark opened the scoring against the Rangers when he headed home in loose ball inside the 18 that he won off of a battle following a free kick. Moving up on set pieces, Clark became much more of a threat in the attacking third from his spot on the back line. The junior finished the night with two shots on goal, recording his first collegiate goal in the process.

However, Drew's Anthony McMyne tied the game just 2:05 after the Fords had taken the lead. Just 1:25 after finding the equalizer, Alexi Velazquez tallied the go-ahead and eventual game winning goal for Drew. All three goals in Tuesday's contest came in the first 7:34 of playing time.

Even though neither team was able to capitalize after the quick flurry that started the match, Haverford did create several more chances throughout the contest. The hosts ended the contest with a slight 14-12 advantage in shots, but Haverford doubled up Drew with a 10-5 advantage in corner kick opportunities.

Rangers' goalie Jason Adams finished the night with three saves, all of which came in the opening half. Jeremy Astesano finished with five saves for the Fords. Both sides had five shots during the second half, but the Fords were unable to get any on target. Nevertheless, several of those attempts were blocked out of bounds which led to a 6-3 edge in corners during the final 45 minutes. In addition to Clark, who scored Haverford's only goal, Nick Jannelli, Michael Carr, and Sykes Cargile each matched him as players who finished with multiple shot attempts.

Tonight's match marked the final non-conference contest of the regular season for Haverford. The Fords have four remaining Centennial Conference matches in their quest to make the conference tournament. This weekend, men's soccer will travel to Washington College for a 5 p.m. start that will serve as a rematch of last year's conference semifinal victory over the Shoremen.