Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Plays to 1-1 Draw with Catholic

Nicholas Montgomery
Nicholas Montgomery

HAVERFORD, Pa. – The Haverford College men's soccer team racked up an 18-10 advantage in shots on Sunday afternoon against Catholic, but the Fords (3-0-1) were unable to find the eventual game-winner as they played to a draw with the visiting Cardinals (1-2-2) on Sunday. No. 18 Haverford did run its unbeaten streak to four straight games to start the season and held a 7-0 advantage in shots during the two overtime sessions, but was unable to convert on those opportunities.

Nicholas Montgomery struck early for Haverford with his first career goal during the 10th minute of game action. Montgomery gathered the possession 25 yards out from the goal and put a beautifully placed shot into the upper 90 on the right hand side for a 1-0 Haverford advantage. Nevertheless, Catholic found the equalizer 17 minutes later when Tyler Martin stole the ball from the Haverford defense and found space just below the crossbar to tie the game at one.

Although the game remained tied through the second overtime, both sides had chances for their second goal of the game. Even before Haverford's first goal, Nick Jannelli made a serious threat at scoring in his fourth straight game only to ring his shot off the crossbar in the eighth minute of play. Catholic also hit the crossbar on two separate occasions with those attempts coming in the 39th and 54th minutes.

Haverford's best chances of the second half came during a series of flurries in which Catholic's goalie Zachery Tashjy was called on to make back-to-back saves in rapid succession. The first of those chances came in the 68th minute. Ryan Sholes put the first of those attempts on goal. Peter Baroff followed up that shot and got the rebound only to see his attempt at goal also denied.

Baroff started the flurry of action in the 81st minute when his shot was saved by Tashjy. This time, it was Ben Field who followed up that action only to see the Catholic keeper recover in time to make his second save in short succession.

Taking the only seven shots of the two overtime periods, the Fords put four of those chances on goal. During the 106th minute of game time, Sykes Cargile, William Edwards, and Jannelli each saw their shots on goal saved in a span of just 38 seconds. The final shot on goal of the game come from Field with 1:20 remaining in game action. Jannelli also had a shot travel into the side netting just 10 seconds later in what turned out to be the final offensive chance for either side.

Jannelli led the Fords with a match-high four shots during the contest. Field added three more shots while Baroff tallied two shots on goal. Nine different players came up with a shot for Haverford as it searched for the game-winning goal. Making his first career start in goal, Michael Iacono made four saves on Sunday afternoon to earn the tie on his individual record.

Men's soccer will be back at home this Wednesday as the Fords welcome Stevens to Walton Field. That non-conference contest will get underway at 5 p.m. Centennial Conference play will begin next weekend when Johns Hopkins comes to campus on Saturday, September 16.