Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Field Lifts No. 22 Men's Soccer Past Stockton in Double OT, 1-0

Ben Field
Ben Field

GALLOWAY, N.J. – Ben Field broke a nearly 109 minute deadlock with just 1:15 left in the second overtime session to give the Haverford College men's soccer team a 1-0 win over Stockton. Field's goal came with just over a minute separating the Fords (4-1-2) and Ospreys (2-4-3) from finishing in a scoreless draw.

Field, who took the team lead with his fourth goal of the season on the game-winning attempt, scored after an initial shot attempt was blocked down by the Stockton defense. The junior then collected the possession and found the back of the net for his second game-winning goal of the season.

The final effort capped a resilient offensive attack for the Fords as they doubled up the Ospreys by an 18-9 margin in shots for the contest. Their largest edge came in the second half when Haverford took 11 shots and conceded just four chances to the opposition. However, six saves from Stockton's Michael Lescano kept the game scoreless. Sam Miller also did has part in goal for the Fords as he stopped all three shots that he faced to record his second shutout of the season and the team's fourth shutout in seven games.

In a fairly evenly played opening half statistically, Haverford still managed to have the best chance of the opening 45 minutes when Tejan Walcott beat the Stockton defense and goalie in the 20th minute only to watch his shot ring off the post to deny his bid at goal.

The Fords kept the Stockton defense busy in the final minutes of regulation as Lescano was called on to make five saves in the final 24 minutes of the second half. That stretch included a pair of shots in the final 1:13 of regulation which required Lescano to make the crucial stops and force the extra session.

In the first overtime session, Ryan Hill had the Fords' lone chance, but saw Lescano make his final save of the evening in the 100th minute of game action. Dorian Wirz had the first chance at the game-winning goal in the second overtime but sent his attempt over the crossbar. The Ospreys followed that up with a shot wide and another that was blocked down by Haverford's defense as a draw seemed imminent.

Nevertheless, Field made the most of the final offensive trip of the game. His goal came with an assist from Tejan Walcott who now has two assists on the season. Field has now scored 10 goals in his Haverford career, five of which have been game-winning efforts.

Men's soccer will look to keep its success on the road going this weekend as the Fords travel to McDaniel for their second Centennial Conference match of the season. Saturday's contest is set to get underway at 1 p.m.