Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

How Sweet It Is: Men's Soccer Headed to NCAA Third Round

How Sweet It Is: Men's Soccer Headed to NCAA Third Round

Updated NCAA Tournament Bracket

HAVERFORD, Pa. – In a season of numerous records and firsts, the Haverford College men's soccer team can add another accolade to that list as the team is headed to the NCAA Tournament Third Round for the first time in program history after a 2-1 victory against Washington and Lee. The win ran the No. 7 Fords' (17-3) streak to 15 consecutive victories, while snapping the No. 23 Generals' (16-4-2) nine-match winning stretch.

Haverford, now standing among the final 16 teams remaining in Division III, will take on St. Lawrence next Saturday, November 21. Times and locations of the third round matchups will be announced Monday. No. 8 SUNY-Oneonta and No. 18 MIT will make up the other contest that will be played Saturday at the Fords' sectional site.

After playing to a scoreless draw for all but 40 seconds of the opening half, Will Corkery broke the deadlock in the 45th minute of play with a penalty kick following a Washington and Lee foul in the box. Corkery is now a perfect 2-for-2 on penalty kick attempts this season. Max Krieg later got into the scoring act with his first career goal in the 78th minute of play to provide some insurance. However, Krieg's goal turned out to be the game-winning shot as the Generals scored with just 4:34 remaining in the match before the Haverford defense turned away the final scoring chances of the afternoon.

The Fords had an early chance to get a quick jump, but a direct kick taken from a couple yards outside of the 18 from Corkery banged off the crossbar. The bounce back into play found its way onto the foot of Colin Seitz, but his shot a goal was deflected out of bounds by the Generals' defense to deny the early bid.

Haverford earned three corner tries during the first 45 minutes and had a 9-5 edge in shots during that same time. The statistical edge finally showed on the scoreboard when Washington and Lee was called for a foul inside the box. From there, Corkery delivered the 1-0 edge with just 40 showing on the clock in the final action of the first half.

During the second half of action, shots swung slightly in favor of the Generals as they held a 10-7 edge in that category. The Fords would finish with a 16-15 advantage in total shots for the match. However, four second half saves from Sam Miller prevented Washington and Lee from tying the score.

After Corkery's initial direct kick in the first half took an unlucky bounce off the crossbar, the Generals experienced a similar fate in the 77th minute when Patrick Barry's shot from Washington and Lee also rung off the crossbar. In a game in which 40 seconds proved pivotal, it was that exact amount of time between the Generals hitting the post and Haverford scoring. On the counter attack, Krieg collected a ball just outside of the 18 and was able to put just enough on the shot to push it past the goalie.

That goal proved larged as Andrew Kim tallied for Washington and Lee in the 86th minute on an assist from Will Hamryka. In the final scoring chances of the afternoon, the Generals sent a direct kick over the crossbar in the 87th minute of play and watched Miller make his fifth and final save of the afternoon with 17 seconds remaining to ensure Haverford's advancement.

Men's soccer will now have until next Saturday to focus on St. Lawrence. St. Lawrence was a 2-0 winner against Scranton on Saturday. Haverford beat Scranton 2-1 in the season opener on September 1.