Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Races Past Dickinson, 3-1

HAVERFORD, Pa. – The Haverford College men's soccer team ran its unbeaten streak to seven straight matches on Saturday afternoon with a 3-1 conference win against Dickinson. With the latest victory in this run, the Fords (8-3, 5-0 CC) remained unbeaten in Centennial Conference play to maintain their first place position in the conference. Saturday's result also handed the Red Devils (7-3-2, 2-1-2 CC) their first loss in conference play.

The Fords' victory was a come-from-behind effort as Dickinson struck first before the hosts scored three straight unanswered. Tejan Walcott and Will Corkery each recorded their third goals of the season to give Haverford a 2-1 edge at halftime, while Sam Yarosh added his Centennial Conference-leading 11th goal of the season with just four seconds remaining in the match.

The Red Devils' early 1-0 lead came when Haverford was whistled for a hand ball just outside of the 18 during the eighth minute of play. Dickinson's Alfred Hylton-Dei capitalized on the early opportunity as he sent his shot around the wall for his seventh goal of the season.

Trailing for the first time all year in Centennial Conference play and their first time during the seven-match winning streak, the Fords did not take long to respond. Just 1:07 after the contest's first goal, Haverford answered back as Michael Carr found Walcott at the top of the 18. Walcott beat the keeper to the far side to level the game just 8:43 into the match. Carr's assist was the fifth of his season.

Each team put four shots on frame during the first 45 minutes of Saturday's conference showdown. However, Haverford goalie Sam Miller came up with one more save during the first half to help his team take a lead into the break. The Fords had a similar opportunity to Dickinson's goal after the Red Devils were called for a foul just outside of the 18 later in the first half. Like their counterparts, the Fords were also successful in the direct kick chance as Corkery took it himself to beat the keeper during the 35th minute of play.

Up by a single goal at the break, Haverford applied early pressure with three shots on goal and three successive corner kick chances during the first 20 minutes of the second half. Despite the offensive pressure, the Fords were unable to put an insurance goal past the Red Devils in the early minutes of the frame.

Fortunately for the Fords, their defense was just as stingy in the second half, anchored by two more saves for Miller. Miller's five saves for the match ultimately thwarted a Dickinson attack that took five of its six second half shots in the final 14 minutes of game action.

With Dickinson pressing in the final moments for a potential equalizer, Yarosh found Haverford's insurance tally with just four seconds remaining in the match. With the Red Devils' keeper coming out to clear a ball up field, Yarosh collected the ball and sent a long shot into goal for Haverford's final tally in the 3-1 victory.

Haverford held a 17-16 edge in shots for the match, while doubling up the Red Devils on corner kick opportunities. Five players tallied multiple shots for the Fords on Saturday. Walcott led the team with five shots. Corkery, who ultimately ended up with the game-winning tally, and Colin Seitz each had three attempts. Brady Seitz and Carr both took two attempts at goal, while Yarosh's goal was his only shot at goal on the afternoon.

Men's soccer is in the midst of a four-match home stand. The second leg of this stretch will be the final non-conference battle of the regular season when Catholic comes to Walton Field Tuesday for a 3:30 p.m. start. The Fords return to conference play next Saturday against Muhlenberg.