Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Runs Away from Rosemont, 8-2

Men's Soccer Runs Away from Rosemont, 8-2

HAVERFORD, Pa. – The Haverford College men's soccer team outscored Rosemont 5-0 in the second half of Sunday's match to run away with an 8-2 victory on the road. Sam Yarosh paved the way for the offense with his first career hat trick. Five other players scored for the Fords (2-1) during the offensive explosion.

The scoring total for Haverford set a new team high during head coach Shane Rineer's tenure, eclipsing last season's seven goal output on the road against Rutgers-Camden. The last time Haverford scored eight goals in a game came during an 8-3 win on the road at Ursinus during the 1997 season. In that game it was Ben Reeves '99 with a hat trick to lead the team, while five other players also found the back of the net.

Despite the final score, it was the host Ravens that struck first Sunday in the ninth minute of play. However, when the Fords found their first goal the scoring came at a fast and furious pace. All three of Haverford's first half goals came within a span of 1:12 of playing time. Yarosh scored the first and third goal of the contest to bookend the scoring in the first 45 minutes for Haverford. In the 14th minute, Yarosh received a pass from Russell Nicholson to tie the game at one-all. Yarosh's second goal, and eventual game-winning tally, came in the 15th minute with the assist of Will Corkery.

In between Yarosh's first half tallies, Ben Field cleaned up a rebound just 24 seconds after the first Haverford goal to give Haverford a lead it would not relinquish. Rosemont got back within a single goal after a shot just outside of the box that got under the crossbar in the 31st minute.

After talking over the 3-2 lead at the half, Haverford came out and put two quick goals away in the first 10-plus minutes of the second half. Yarosh capped his hat trick with the team's fourth goal of the contest just 2:02 into that second half. After scoring the second goal of the first half, Field set up Tejan Walcott for the team's second goal of the second half.

Haverford closed the game with three goals in the final 15-plus minutes. That last stretch of goal scorers included a pair of career firsts on the scoresheet for Mason Bracker and Ryan Hill. Hill's goal came unassisted in the 75th minute of play. Bracker scored his first career goal in the 84th minute before John Halifax closed the scoring with his second career goal in the 87th minute of play.

Haverford finished the game with a 25-3 advantage in shots, including a 15-1 edge during the second half. Yarosh scored on three of his four shots for the night, while Walcott led the team with seven shots on the evening. Ian Alers also had three shots in his first action of the season, while Brady Seitz, Halifax and Hill each had two shots for the match.

After back-to-back matches on the road this weekend, men's soccer will have almost a full week to rest up as the team will be back on Walton Field Saturday, September 12 for a 1 p.m. match against Wesleyan (Conn.).