Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Haverford's repeat hopes dashed by Dickinson in Centennial semifinals

Haverford's repeat hopes dashed by Dickinson in Centennial semifinals

HAVERFORD, Pa. - The Haverford College men's soccer team's bid for a second straight Centennial Conference title came to an end in the conference semifinals on Saturday afternoon as the top-seeded Fords fell, 2-0, to visting Dickinson College at Walton Field.

Playing in the second semifinal of the day, Haverford (11-5-2) and the Red Devils (14-4-1) engaged in a battle that one would expect in a match-up between the last two conference champions.

The Fords, ranked eighth in the latest NCAA regional rankings, registered four of the first five shots of the game and almost opened the scoring in the eighth minute. Dickinson goalie Jeremy Palcan turned away a shot by Dorian Wirz and Haverford crashed the net aggressively for the rebound before the Red Devils managed to clear the ball out of the box.

Senior Ford Bohrmann, owner of both game-winning goals in last year's Centennial tournament, provided the Fords with another solid scoring opportunity in the 28th minute. Bohrmann was able to get his head on David Robinson's corner kick but the shot attempt bounced just high.

Hosting the conference tournament for the first time, Haverford ended the first half with a advantage in shots (9-3) and corner kicks (5-2) but was unable to get a ball past Palcan (4-1-1).

Fords goalie Sam Miller (4-2-2) made a big stop on Red Devils senior Javier Mena in the 62nd minute to keep the game scoreless before Dickinson, ranked third regionally, broke through for the first goal of the game seven minutes later.

Derek Kachadurian tallied his ninth of the season in the 69th minute to give the fourth-seeded Red Devils the 1-0 lead. Haverford dug deep looking for the equalizer but Kachadurian, the leading point producer in the conference, struck again with a little over 10 minutes to go in the game.

Miller finished with three saves on the afternoon while Palcan earned the win with four first-half saves.

Looking for its second title in three years, Dickinson advances to the conference finals against third-seeded Frankin & Marshall College. The 15th-ranked Diplomats edged Swarthmore College, 2-1, in the first semifinal of the day. Sunday's championship tilt will take place at Walton Field at 1 p.m.