Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Lacrosse Can't Catch Randolph-Macon

Ben Frost
Ben Frost

HAVERFORD, Pa. – The Haverford College men's lacrosse team was tripped up by Randolph-Macon Saturday afternoon on Swan Field by a 14-8 final. The Fords played an even statistical game with the Yellow Jackets (3-1) as Haverford won 14 of the game's 26 face-offs, outshot RMC 37-36, and collected just one less ground ball. The Fords were within two goals late in the third and looking to complete the comeback bid but a 5-1 run from the visitors to close the contest capped any thoughts of Haverford creeping any closer.

Ben Frost scored three goals for his first hat trick of the season and fourth of his career. Fellow senior Stephen DeLeo also tallied twice in the non-conference clash. Randolph-Macon had four different players finish with multiple goals, including brothers Ryan Tiffey (4 goals, 2 assists) and Andrew Tiffey (2 goals, 3 assists).

Haverford got the early jump on Saturday as DeLeo tallied both of his goals during the opening quarter. He began the scoring just under six minutes into the game in unassisted fashion. Just over four minutes later, Haverford goalie Dylan Slack came up with a huge save and found Rob McLallen in transition. McLallen, in turn, found DeLeo who was leading the quick transition for a 2-0 Fords lead. Ferrigno's assist was the first of the defender's career. Nevertheless, the Tiffey brothers leveled the game at two going into the second period with two tallies during the final four minutes of the period.

Randolph-Macon extended its run to six straight goals to close the first by scoring the first four of the second quarter to grab a 6-2 advantage. Frost broke that extended run just before the half as he scored with just 2:34 to play before the break. The Yellow Jackets also went two men down right after as two different players were called for a cross-check and slash. DeLeo set up fellow co-captain McLallen just 44 seconds into that minute long two-man advantage as the Fords trailed 6-4 after 30 minutes of play. DeLeo is now leading the Fords in both goals (5) and assists (4) early in his senior campaign after his three-point outing.

Making his first appearance of the season, senior Garret Trucksess got his year off to a quick start as he scored just 46 seconds into the third quarter in unassisted fashion. Haverford later answered an RMC goal as Sean Mowatt-Larssen set up Ben Frost's second goal of the game with 7:44 to play in the third, making the score 7-6. The Yellow Jackets answered with two of their own before Mowatt-Larssen scored a goal of his own off the assist from fellow first-year Wyatt Feinberg. Nevertheless, Randolph-Macon added another goal just 12 seconds before the third period ended and carried a 10-7 lead into the final 15 minutes.

Frost capped his hat trick with an unassisted goal in the final period to give him four this season. His finally tally made the score 11-8 with 7:50 to play, but the Yellow Jackets provided the only offense on the scoreboard the rest of the way to finish off their 14-8 victory.

The Yellow Jackets ended the contest with 22 turnovers as the Fords limited them to just a 19-of-26 day in clearing attempts. Eight of those turnovers were caused efforts, headlined by Mowatt-Larssen and Gabe Moon who each forced a pair of giveaways. Going 14-of-26 in the face-off circle helped Zack Cohen match McLallen's team-high four ground balls collected. Dylan Slack finished the game with a total of 11 saves in goal while his counterpart made 10 stops.

Men's lacrosse will have a full week to prepare for its next opponent as Kenyon comes to Swan Field next Saturday, March 9. That game is scheduled for a 3 p.m. start with a women' game against Cabrini preceding that contest at 12 p.m. The game against Kenyon will be just the second in program history as these two teams last met in 1995. Next weekend's contest will be the second of the Fords' current six-game homestand on Swan Field.