Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Lacrosse Downed by No. 9 Dickinson

Kevin Goshorn
Kevin Goshorn

HAVERFORD, Pa. – The Haverford College men's lacrosse team went punch-for-punch with No. 9 Dickinson during a high paced opening quarter. However, the Red Devils (9-2, 3-0 CC) held the Fords (4-6, 1-3 CC) without a goal in the second quarter and outscored them 5-2 in the third to pull away during an eventual 12-7 victory under the lights of Swan Field.

Stephen DeLeo and Kevin Goshorn each tallied two goals during the opening quarter to lead Haverford's attack. DeLeo's goals were the first two of the night and gives him 14 total this season. His first goal came just 1:24 into regulation time before he put the Fords up 2-0 just over two minutes later. Isaac Krier and Noah Hollander found DeLeo on those first two goals. Krier now has a team-leading eight assists on the season.

The Red Devils scored the next three goals to take a 3-2 lead midway through the opening period, but Goshorn leveled the game at three-all with an unassisted goal at the 5:20 mark. Dickinson answered that with two unassisted goals of its own before Goshorn tallied his second goal of the first period with just two seconds remaining. This time, it was DeLeo's seventh assist of the year that got the attack going. Goshorn's goal was the third of the senior's season.

Dickinson owned the only offense of the second period and took a 6-4 lead into halftime. However, the Red Devils were whistled for a slash with just four-tenths of a second remaining in the opening half. Haverford made the most of that penalty as it started out with possession in the third. Ben Frost scored his 13th goal of the season just 49 seconds into the third to bring Haverford back within a single goal. Once again Dickinson answered, this time with a man-up goal of its own that started a 3-0 run.

Patrick Girard had a hand all three of Haverford's final goals as he scored his ninth goal of the year in unassisted fashion to make the score 9-6 midway through the third. Haverford's final goal came when he found Rob McLallen to start the fourth quarter. McLallen's seventh goal of the year made it 11-7 with nearly 14 minutes of game action remaining, but the visiting Red Devils would have the only offense the rest of the night in a 12-7 final.

Dylan Slack made 10 saves in the crease for the Fords. Haverford's defense in front of Slack was very strong as Dickinson committed 21 turnovers on the night, 15 of which were the direct result of Haverford's defense. Max Ellis caused five turnovers and picked up six ground balls to lead the team in both categories. Chandler Todd added three more caused turnovers as both he and Slack collected four ground balls.

Men's lacrosse will be back at home this coming Wednesday for its second straight game under the lights as Washington College comes to Swan Field for a 7 p.m. face-off.