Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Field Hockey's Comeback Bid Falls Short At Lebanon Valley, 2-1

Field Hockey's Comeback Bid Falls Short At Lebanon Valley, 2-1

ANNVILLE, Pa. – The Haverford College field hockey team dropped a 2-1 decision to Lebanon Valley on Saturday morning. The loss came despite outshooting the Dutchmen 9-6, including a 7-0 advantage in the second period. The Fords dominated the second half, with Lucy Tortolani scoring her first career goal in the 66th minute, capping an offensive flurry that fell just short of tying the contest. Haverford falls to 2-2 on the season while Lebanon Valley improves to 3-1 on the year.

The Fords were forced to play from behind for the majority of the contest as the Dutchmen scored during the second minute, converting on the first shot attempt of the contest. Caity Stevens took a feed from Maddie Fox and shot from the top of the circle, finishing towards the right side for a 1-0 advantage. A scrum in front of the cage in the 27th minute allowed the hosts to double their advantage to 2-0, with Rachel Youngs scoring her first points of the season.

Haverford trailed in the shot count 6-2 in the first half, and the penalty corners were even at 3-3. Starting goalkeeper Danielle Rette tallied a pair of saves for the visitors. 

The second half belonged to the Fords as freshman MacKenzie Somers started the second 35 minutes, seeing her first career action between the pipes. Paige Carson had a chance to bring Haverford closer, creating separation from the Lebanon Valley back line and finishing with a shot that sailed just wide of the goal in the 37th minute. In the 41st minute, the Fords earned a penalty corner that led to a Nicole Witte shot which went wide.  

In the 45th minute, Elena Veale and Carson each saw scoring attempts denied by the Dutchmen, with Sarah Dimaggio and defender Tasia Dennis recording saves. Leslie couldn't convert a shot off a penalty corner in the 52nd but after a Haverford timeout, Mason McNulty shot at goal. Dimaggio deflected the initial attempt with a save, allowing Tortolani to scoop up the rebound and score to cut the lead to 2-1 with just over four minutes left in the contest. Unfortunately for Haverford, the goal would hold as the last shot of the contest as the Dutchmen escaped with victory.

Haverford will return to action on Wednesday as the Fords travel to Immaculata for a 6:30 p.m. pass back.