Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Baseball Splits Doubleheader With Baruch

Ethan Lee-Tyson
Ethan Lee-Tyson

FT. MYERS, Fla. – On the penultimate day of competition at the Gene Cusic Collegiate Classic, the Haverford Baseball team split a doubleheader with Baruch College, falling 4-2 in the first of two contests before registering a 9-3 win in the second game. Haverford sits at 5-3 at the end of the day while Baruch sits at 2-6. Ethan Lee-Tyson went 5-7 on the day, including a 4-4 effort in the second game with two doubles to pace the Fords.

Haverford gave the ball to Tom Phillips (0-1) in the first contest of the day, and Phillips threw a complete game in a losing effort, striking out three. In the bottom of the first inning, Baruch plated a run on three hits as Jasdeep Buttar contributed an RBI single.

Gilberto Mendoza Jr. led off the bottom of the third with a walk and stole second and third base before Buttar again contributed an RBI, this time with a double that made it 2-0 in favor of Baruch. The next hitter, Edwin St. Hilaire, homered for a 4-0 advantage to the Bearcats.

The Fords got their first hit and run of the contest in the top of the fourth as Lee-Tyson singled and advanced into scoring position on a fielding error. Spencer Sohmer was hit by a pitch and Sam Partee walked. Ben Furlong then delivered a sacrifice fly to left field, plating Lee-Tyson to cut the lead to 4-1.

Sohmer tripled with one out in the sixth and came in to score on a Ben Verducci sacrifice fly, as Haverford made it a 4-2 ballgame.

In the seven inning contest, Haverford was held largely in check by Baruch starter Cameron Kitt (1-0). Kitt threw a complete game, surrendering just two hits while striking out eight Fords.

In the second game, Haverford sent Dylan Livingston (1-1) to the mound. Livingston got into some early trouble as Mendoza Jr. continued a strong day with an RBI single in the first inning against Bearcats starter Joseph Cali (0-1).

The Fords backed up their starter with early runs of their own in the bottom of the frame. After Will Karp reached on an error, Lee-Tyson singled, advancing Karp to third base. Sohmer singled, scoring Karp. The next hitter, Verducci, singled to load the bases. Matt Goss was hit by a pitch, scoring a run and Ben Furlong doubled, plating Verducci and Sohmer as Goss was thrown out at home trying to clear the bases. The Fords took a 4-1 lead into the second inning.

Haverford struck for three more in the bottom of the third. Matt Goss walked and Furlong singled to begin the inning. After Baruch went to the bullpen for Nicholas D'Angelo, Harrison Burns singled with two out, scoring Goss and Furlong. After Karp walked, Lee-Tyson continued his scorching start to the season with an RBI double, giving Haverford a 7-1 advantage.

Lee-Tyson added another RBI double in the bottom of the fifth inning, putting a cap on a 4-4 contest to extend the Haverford lead to 9-2 in a contest that would end 9-3 in favor of Haverford.

Livingston went six innings, allowing just six hits and two earned runs while striking out four. Pat O'Shea got the relief assignment in the final inning, tossing a perfect frame.

The Fords will wrap up play in Florida on Saturday morning against North Park (Ill.). First pitch of the final contest of Spring Break is slated for 9:00 a.m. Haverford resumes its schedule in the Keystone State on Tuesday afternoon with a 3:30 pm first pitch at Immaculata.