Fords, Dips play to scoreless tie

Fords, Dips play to scoreless tie

LANCASTER, Pa. – Despite owning several statistical advantages, Haverford College's women's soccer team battled host Franklin & Marshall College to a 0-0 double-overtime tie Saturday in Centennial Conference action under the lights at Tylus Field.

The Fords (4-2-4, 1-0-2 CC) pounded out 22 shots and earned seven corner kick opportunities compared to just eight and one, respectively, by the Diplomats (4-2-3, 2-0-2).

Action throughout regulation time flowed easily through the middle third of the field but both defenses were able to clamp down on open scoring chances once the ball reached the attacking ends of the field.

Haverford nearly netted the opening goal of the game early in the second half when it pressed in on the F&M defense and generated the first six shots of the half. Diplomats goalie Amanda McGowan made a diving save on one of the shots, from Phoebe Miller, to preserve the tie.

With under 10 minutes in the second half the Diplomats sent a crossing pass from the right towards the opposite side of the box but the loose ball narrowly missed an F&M foot as it trailed just wide of the back post behind Haverford netminder Robin Chernow.

The Fords missed just over the crossbar on their final shot of regulation with less than three minutes on the clock, and nearly ended the game in the first extra period when Connie Friedman's shot cleared the cross bar by about a foot with 50 seconds remaining the period.

The Diplomats' best chance to end the contest may have come in the opening seconds of the second overtime when Nicole Rynecki's shot was stopped by Chernow who was unable to contain the rebound. The ball was loose in front of the goal but the Fords' defense was able to sweep the ball away from danger.

Not even three minutes later the Fords earned a corner kick chance with Sierra Houck lofting the ball into the box from the right where Friedman's header just missed high over F&M's McGowan and the crossbar.

Fittingly perhaps, each team's final foray in its attacking end finished with offsides calls ending the last threats of the game.

Chernow finished with three saves for Haverford while McGowan ended with six.

The Fords continue conference play with their next game on Wednesday at home where Muhlenberg College will visit Walton Field for a 4 p.m. contest.