2017 Season Review
Signature Wins: After dropping a pair of games to begin the season, The Fords captured four straight victories in the non-conference portion of the schedule, downing Randolph Macon at home (Mar. 4) before sweeping the Florida spring break slate with triumphs over Kenyon (Mar. 6) and Roanoke (Mar. 8) in the Sunshine State. In a game that was moved to the campus of Saint Joseph's University due to a late winter storm, Haverford dispatched Eastern (Mar. 16) 23-9 with an offensive outburst that saw 12 different goal scorers.
A late season win at Ursinus (Apr. 22) helped the Fords end a losing skid and showed Haverford's late game prowess as the Fords were able to hold off a late rally. Haverford has now won three straight over Ursinus, and five of the last six meetings between the two programs dating back to 2012. Haverford has also captured four straight in Collegeville, also dating back to 2012.
On Senior Day at Swan Field, Haverford turned away Hood Trophy rival Swarthmore (Apr. 29) in a high-scoring affair that ended 20-15 in favor of the hosts. Senior Sarina Manetta scored her 100th goal with her first tally of the contest before also taking over the Haverford single-season draw control record with seven draw controls on the day. Manetta finishes her season with 64 draw controls, seven clear of the previous record of 57 set by Diana Perry in 2014. Sarina's younger sister freshman Julia Manetta also etched her name into the Haverford record books with a five-assist afternoon that gives her the Haverford single-season record in the category.
Season Notes: Haverford concludes the season at 8-8, the fifth consecutive year the team has finished at or above .500 … The Fords led the conference in honorees on the Centennial Honor Roll, placing a program-record 14 members of the squad on the team … Sarina Manetta and Allie Gibbons were both named to IWLCA All-Region honors, marking the ninth straight season a Haverford player has picked up all-region plaudits … The two honorees on the IWLCA squads was the most for Haverford since 2013.
- Sarina Manetta: Single-season draw controls (64), single-season draw controls per game (4.00)
- Julia Manetta: Single-season assists (37), single-game assists (6)
- IWLCA All-Metro Region: Allie Gibbons (second team), Sarina Manetta (second team)
- All-Centennial Conference: Sarina Manetta (first team), Allie Gibbons (second team) Madison Jones (second team)
- Centennial Conference All-Sportsmanship Team: Averi Gaines
- Centennial Conference Academic Honor Roll: Courtney Carter, Claire Cote, Grayton Downing, Averi Gaines, Allie Gibbons, Madison Jones, Lucy Koch, Sarina Manetta, Kirsten Mullin, Rina Rosnow, Alyssa Sherman, Kate Sollee, Sarah Svetec, Ali Weiner
- Centennial Conference Offensive Player of the Week: Sarina Manetta (2/27 & 5/1), Allie Gibbons (3/6)
- Kannerstein Award: Sarina Manetta
Looking Ahead: Haverford returns four of its five leading goal scorers to the team in 2017 … A large senior class (Courtney Carter, Claire Cote, Averi Gaines, Maura Grant, Stephanie Kisciras, Lucy Koch, Sarina Manetta and Shannon Rafsol) graduates after an impactful four years but the Fords return Allie Gibbons and Julia Manetta, who partnered up to help lead the offensive attack in 2017 … A strong rising junior class will anchor the team in 2017 as All-Centennial honoree Madison Jones will again fortify the backline with fellow senior Alyssa Sherman also playing a key role ... Molly Lausten and Kate Sollee will be counted upon as scoring threats on the attacking end … Haverford returns all three goalkeepers including Rachel Romens who will be back for her senior campaign between the pipes.