Season Review: Men's tennis advances to 3rd straight final
Signature Wins: The Fords downed 26th-ranked Swarthmore College, 7-2, on April 27 to claim the third seed in the Centennial Conference tournament. Luis Acaba's victory at No. 2 singles provided the clinching point as Haverford got past the Garnet in the regular season for the first time in more than 60 years. The Fords maintained the momentum from that victory as a week later they avenged a regular-season loss to Franklin & Marshall with a 5-3 win in the conference semifinals to earn a trip into the title match.
Season Notes: Kevin Caulfield, playing at top-flight doubles led the squad with a 15-5 record including a 6-2 mark in conference action …Caulfield earned spot in the national singles tournament and won his first match before falling in round of 16 (to eventual singles champion) earning All-America status. The senior finished the season ranked ninth regionally and 42nd nationally. Caulfield closed his career with 57 singles wins (tied for second-most in program history) … The Centennial Conference's rookie of the year Luis Acaba also reached double digits in singles victories (10-6) … Danny Himelstein teamed with Caulfield at to register a 13-5 record at top-flight doubles that included a sparkling 7-0 in conference play. Himelstein and Caulfield finished the season ranked fifth in the region and 25th nationally … Acaba also went 13-5 in doubles action with three different partners … Haverford won a season-high seven consecutive matches from March 23 to April 10… Jacob Weisenthal captured the B3 singles title at the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Southeast Regional (9/30) while Andy Dougherty and Sloan Millman claimed the B2 doubles crown (10/1).
- NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship: Kevin Caulfield
- Philadelphia Inquirer Academic All-Area Men's Tennis Performer of the Year: Caulfield
- Centennial Conference sportsmanship award: Caulfield
- Arthur Ashe Leadership & Sportsmanship Award, Atlantic South Region: Caufield
- Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) All-America Team: Caulfield
- Centennial Conference rookie of the year: Luis Acaba
- All-Centennial Conference: Caulfield (first-team singles, first-team doubles), Danny Himelstein (first-team doubles), Acaba (second-team doubles), Matthew Cebul (second-team doubles), Matt Romei (second-team doubles)
- Centennial Conference Academic Honor Roll: Caulfield, Cebul, Andy Dougherty, Himelstein, Sloan Millman, Matt Romei
- ITA 2013 All-Academic Team
- ITA 2013 Scholar Athletes: Caulfield, Cebul, John Cummings, Robert Homan, Joshua Lederman, Millman, Romei, Jacob Weisenthal, Lowell West
Looking Ahead: Seniors Andy Dougherty and captain Matt Romei will fortify a singles lineup led by Centennial Conference 2013 Rookie of the Year Luis Acaba and bolstered by returning lettermen Zach Mason and Sloan Millman. Incoming freshmen will battle with veterans Robert Homan, John Cummings and Harrison Elbertfor openings in the doubles teams as Haverford looks to challenge for Centennial Conference honors once again.