Fords unable to solve #2 F&M

Fords unable to solve #2 F&M

LANCASTER, Pa. – Haverford College's field hockey team traveled to Franklin & Marshall College on Saturday hoping for an upset of the No. 2 Diplomats but the Fords were unable to come away with a victory, falling 3-0 in a Centennial Conference match-up at Tylus Field.

The loss drops Haverford's conference mark to 1-3 and evens its overall record at 5-5. The Diplomats won their 10th in a row to move to 5-0 within the league and 10-0 overall.

An early goal by F&M's Kate Cecere put Haverford in the hole at the 5:38 mark of the opening half.

The Fords and goalkeeper Lindsey Lopes warded off several scoring chances by the Dips over the next 18 minutes but a rebound off a Lopes saves in the 23rd minute led to a second F&M tally. Audrey Buckman swept home a loose ball after gaining possession of the rebound to push the Dips' advantage to 2-0.

Playing mostly on the defensive during the opening half, Haverford finally picked up its first shot of the game late in the half but Bryn Bissey's attempt slid wide of the left post and F&M was able to escape the scare and take its two-goal lead into the intermission.

Haverford came out with greater urgency in the opening minutes of the second half, generating a shot from Catherine Aronowitz to open up the action in the stanza. Twelve minutes into the half the Fords notched a pair of penalty corner chances but weren't able to convert in attempts to halve the Diplomats' advantage.

The back-breaking goal for the Fords came midway through the 61st minute when a long shot from outside the circle by F&M was redirected from in close by Maria Guarisco, slipping in behind Lopes to give the Dips a 3-0 lead with less than 10 minutes remaining.

Lopes finished the game with nine saves but took the loss in the cage for Haverford. F&M goalie Avery Koep earned the win but wasn't required to come up with any saves.

The Fords continue Centennial play with their next game on Saturday, Oct. 12 when Johns Hopkins University visits Haverford's Swan Field for a 1 p.m. contest.